05 May 2008

"And now for something completely different"...

Okay, so much like many of you that still seperate summer from the rest of the year by working a different job/not going to school, I have begun considering what to do, which often involves lofty goals of reading of which I always question...and some of you do, as well :)

I will be reading The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes by Robert S. McGee, with a good friend, which is long overdue since it was first introduced to me a couple years ago. I am looking forward to a challenging read, which will probably include self-examination, looking into the past, and learning to believe the Truth about myself as a daughter of the King. Can't wait.

Secondly, while on a retreat this weekend, books, games and sweet toys from childhood were brought up in conversation. Upon that, I remembered American Girl books and how I always really wanted the dolls and their tiny detailed items that accompanied them like a birthday cake, journal or ice skates. But, to no avail. Looking back, it seems kind of ridiculous how many dolls they can keep coming up with and how many tiny things can be sold with them. Anyway, I am totally re-reading some American Girl books this summer.

A special friend frequently challenges my reading choices in regards to fun and enjoyable reads. I definitely enjoy reading things like Celebration of Discipline or Screwtape Letters, but I see the need to escape in a fictional tale every now and then. I used to read all summer in elementary school with the summer reading program at the Southport Public Library and got sweet prizes like friendship bracelets, Wendy's Frosty coupons and passes to the YMCA pool. I think along with becoming too old (really, too cool) for the summer reading program and being assigned so much serious reading, I had forgotten my deeply buried excitement for the occasional fiction book (see Babysitter's Club).

So anyways, I want to tell you about my favorite American Girl characters/stories. In no particular order, I present them to you, reader:

Felicity: Felicity lives during the time of the Revolutionary War and experiences the effects of the war in her daily life with her family. I remember liking Felicity because she was adventurous, curious and strong. She also liked riding horses and has a story about a horse that responds well only to her presence.

Addy: Addy lives during the Civil War and is the daughter of runaway slaves. She is sweet and kind and is learning to live in the ever present face of hardship. I remember getting fired up when reading about Addy's life because I disagreed with all of the injustice and hurt that I saw dealt to her and her family.

Molly: Molly was really fun and spunky. She lives during WWII and is on the front lines of the war in a way because her father serves wounded soldiers and her mother teaches her about their victory garden and the importance of rationing. Molly has really fun friends and has a story about going to camp with them that I liked a lot. V for Victory!

So those are my faves...Each character has 6 books, all with the same titles, excluding their names.

-Meet _____
-Changes for ______
-______ Saves the Day
-______'s Surprise
-Happy Birthday ______
-______ Learns A Lesson

I forgot how much I loved these books. I will read them and I will love them. And so will you.

5 comments:

mkr said...

Wahoo for summer reading! Two things I wanted to share:

1. I owned and read and LOVED all of the Molly series.

2. Other childhood readings that you should check out include any R. Dahl books, My Side of the Mtn., Romona the Pest, and of course the Indian in the Cupboard series!

annie.marie.dimond. said...

my sisters and i all picked our dolls based on our personalities and looks. I was molly. Maybe its because i like to be vicorious. V for victory!

:)

also, i hope you read nancy drew, or the hardy boys. I was a hardy boys fan myself.

KES said...

Oooooh! Ramona! I should read some of her books, as well. My mom is an elementary librarian and brought home the half-hour Ramona videos last Christmas break to watch. Oh man. Ramona is hilarious.

p.s. I think that the general consensus is that Molly was and is the best loved American Girl :)

Anonymous said...

I never had a doll or even heard of these books, but I am pumped that you get to do some reading that you actually want to do. I personally like Julie, the hippy doll.

KLantz said...

unlike andrew, and maybe very sadly, i'm pretty positive I read more than a couple of those books. definitely addy and felicity. i'll just blame it on Accelerated Reader (but I secretly think I enjoyed them a lot)